Thursday 21 July 2011

Mum Sheds 66kg to Beat Diabetes

Mum Sheds 66kg to Beat Diabetes

AS ROCKHAMPTON'S Sandra Beutel watered her red begonia, she was reminded of the 30kg weight-loss milestone she'd reached on her huge journey of losing more than 66kg.

“Every 10 kilos I would lose, I would treat myself to a gift of some sort,” the 41-year-old said.

One gift to myself was a plant and every time I went to water it I could say that I lost 30kg to get this.”

Her two-year fitness transformation took the mother-of-three from 140kg to her goal of 74kg – a weight she hasn't been since her early teens – which she reached yesterday.

“After having my twins, I was around the 100kg mark, which is when I started to gain more weight,” Sandra said.

But after having her third child four years ago, Sandra was given the ultimatum that would eventually decide her fate.

“I had gestational diabetes and my doctor said I either had to start taking medication or lose weight, and I opted to lose weight,” Sandra said.

Sandra turned to Weight Watchers to start dropping the kilos, and has now been nominated for the group's annual Healthy Life Awards after losing 46% of her body weight.

“I am able to do a whole lot more than I ever have done before,” she said.

“My children are able to put their arms around me without any trouble at all, and my son loves that I am able to go bike riding with him.”

Sandra said it was getting so bad she had to inject herself with insulin and take naps during the day.

“Now I don't have to do that anymore, I feel so much more energised and able to do so much throughout the day.”

Weight Watchers will have an open day at their Canning St office on August 27 at 9.30am, where Sandra and other successful members from the Rockhampton area will speak to anyone interested in joining from the community.

Sandra will also be the Rockhampton Weight Watchers ambassador for the month of August as part of the open day.

No comments:

Post a Comment